Elevate Family Law

Why Choose Elevate Family Law To Handle Your Parenting Arrangements

Just some of the reasons why Elevate Family Law is a great choice to help you navigate your parenting matters:

Parenting Arrangements in Australia

Relationship breakdowns can cause frustrations for parents navigating child custody arrangements following separation.

Whilst every family is unique, the Court’s primary focus and consideration is what is in the best interest of your children.

The Family Law Act outlines a list of considerations when determining this, including:

  • Whether there is a need to protect the child from physical or psychological harm due to abuse, neglect or family violence
  • The nature of the relationship of the children with each parent and the benefit to the child of having a meaningful relationship with both parents
  • Whether the children are of an age where their views can be considered
  • The ability of each parent to meet the children’s physical and psychological needs
  • The attitudes of each parent of their responsibilities as a parent
  • Religious or Cultural issues

The views expressed by the child and any other factors relevant to the weight attached to the views of the child are additional considerations in determining the best interests of the child (Section 60CC(3)(a) Family Law Act 1975.

Parenting Plans

what are parenting plans?

  • Parenting plans are voluntary informal agreements reached between the parents of a child that deal with various aspects of the child’s living arrangements, daily life, and parental responsibility concerning long-term issues.
  • Parenting plans are an effective way of reducing the risk of future conflicts concerning decisions relating to your children and are flexible in that they may be amended from time to time, when both parties are in agreement.

Parenting Orders

what are parenting orders ?

  • Parenting orders are formal, legally binding agreements.  The Court when making the parenting order, does not have to follow the parenting plan but will consider its terms in its overall decision.

  • If you are unable to reach an agreement through a parenting plan, then a parenting order may be a more appropriate method
  • When you are considering taking a parenting matter to court, you will need to comply with certain pre-action procedures

  • Before commencing proceedings in the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia (“FCFCOA”) you and your former partner will need to make a genuine effort at resolving the dispute.
  • This includes :

    • obtaining a Genuine Steps Certificate, validating your compliance with pre-action procedures

    • a certificate from a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner pursuant to Section 60I (8) Family Law Act 1975.

Parenting Court Orders

what Orders Can The Court Make?

The Court has the power to make orders on the following matters:

  • The living arrangements of the child/ren.
  • Parental Responsibility
  • Communication with family members
  • Travel (domestic and international)
  • The child/ren’s relationship with other family members/people.
  • Medical Care
  • Your former spouse must comply with a parenting order unless there are “reasonable grounds” for breaching an order.
  • We will be able to assist you in applying for a contravention order where your partner has breached a parenting order.
  • The Court may make a variety of orders as a consequence of the breach, for example, a fine, a variation to the parenting order, or even an order for that parent to make up for the time lost with the child/ren.

how we've helped people just like you

I found Elevate Family Law Firm to be highly professional and exceptionally personable and approachable. From the very first point of contact with Zohra, I felt comfortable. She made me feel heard and validated, and was warm and understanding. Throughout my whole parenting matter, I felt 100% at ease with Zohra and was confident in her efficient and professional work ethic……



Explore our services

Property Settlements
Child Custody
Wills & Estates
Consent Orders
Prenuptial Agreements
De Facto & Same Sex
Grandparents Rights
Estate & Probate
Family Lawyer

Most frequent questions and answers

Moving interstate, overseas or a significant distance from where your current residential address (relocation) requires the consent of the other parent  or a court order which allows you to relocate with the children.

Yes. Grandparents can also apply for parenting orders. The Court permits such applications that consider the  welfare of the children  –including grandparents. Click here for more on grandparent’s rights.

There is no set age at which a child can choose who they live with, or choose when (or whether) they see the other parent. While a child may express strong views about who they want to live with, there is a range of other factors that the court will take into account in deciding the living arrangements for a child. 

Consent orders are formal court orders that reflect the arrangement arrived by the two parties. Consent orders are binding and enforceable like any other court orders.